doom n : an unpleasant or disastrous destiny; "everyone was aware of the approaching doom but was helpless to avoid it"; "that's unfortunate but it isn't the end of the world" [syn: doomsday, day of reckoning, end of the world]
1 decree or designate beforehand; "She was destined to become a great pianist" [syn: destine, fate, designate]
2 pronounce a sentence on (somebody) in a court of law; "He was condemned to ten years in prison" [syn: sentence, condemn]
3 make certain of the failure or destruction of; "This decision will doom me to lose my position"
EtymologyFrom Old English dōm ‘judgement’.
a medieval church painting
Doom refers to a state or feeling of impending and inevitable destruction and ruin, far beyond mere trouble. It can also mean the following things:
id Software property
- See also Topics related to the Doom series.
(video game), a first-person shooter computer game released in
- Ultimate Doom, a special edition of Doom that contains an additional episode
- Doom II
- Master Levels for Doom II
- The Depths of Doom Trilogy, a compilation consisting of Ultimate Doom, Doom II, Master Levels for Doom II, and Maximum Doom.
- Final Doom, a 64-level continuation of the Doom II story released in 1996
- Doom 64, first person shooter for the Nintendo 64 released in 1997
- Doom 3, a re-imagining of the first game released in 2004.
- Doom 4,
- Doom (film), a movie based on the computer game series of the same name
- Doom RPG, a role-playing game for mobile phones, based on the first-person shooter computer game
- Doom: The Boardgame, a board game adaptation of the computer game
- Doom metal, a genre of heavy metal, often referred as just "doom"
- Black doom, a style of doom metal
- Doom (Japanese band), a Japanese thrash metal band
- Doom (UK band), a band credited with founding crust punk
- Doom (Job for a Cowboy album), 2005 album released by deathcore band Job for a Cowboy
- Doom (Mood album), a hip hop album by Mood
- MF DOOM, hip hop musician and producer
- Other media
- Doom Trilogy, a series of text adventure games for home computers (beginning with Countdown to Doom)
- Mount Doom, a volcano in J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings
- Doctor Doom, a supervillain and ruler of a small country within the Marvel Comics universe
- Judge Doom, the villain of the movie Who Framed Roger Rabbit
- Black Doom, leader of the Black Arms in the Sonic the Hedgehog fictional universe
- Doom (professional wrestling)
- Doom, a Final Fantasy dark magic spell that causes the target to die in three turns
- Thulsa Doom, the snake-like villain played by James Earl Jones in the motion picture Conan the Barbarian
doom in German: Doom (Begriffsklärung)
doom in Italian: Doom (disambigua)
doom in Dutch: Doom
doom in Japanese: ドゥーム
doom in Low German: Doom (Mehrdüdig Begreep)
doom in Polish: Doom (ujednoznacznienie)
doom in Portuguese: Doom (desambiguação)
doom in Russian: Дум (значения)
doom in Slovenian: Doom (razločitev)
doom in Chinese: Doom
Day of Judgment, Friday, Friday the thirteenth, Judgment Day, Z, abuse, act on, action, afflict, aggrieve, anathematize, anathematizing, annihilation, apodosis, appoint, appointed lot, astral influences, astrology, attaint, award, bane, befoul, bewitch, biological death, blacklist, blight, book of fate, bring home to, calamity, cast into hell, cataclysm, catastrophe, ceasing, censure, cessation, cessation of life, circumstance, clinical death, coda, conclusion, condemn, condemn to hell, condemnation, consideration, consign to hell, constellation, consummation, convict, conviction, corrupt, crack of doom, crossing the bar, crucify, culmination, cup, curse, curtain, curtains, damage, damn, damnation, day of doom, death, death knell, death sentence, death warrant, deathblow, debt of nature, decease, decision, decree, defile, deliverance, demise, denouement, denounce, denouncement, denunciate, denunciation, departure, deprave, despoil, destinate, destination, destine, destiny, destroy, destruction, determination, devote, diagnosis, dictum, dies funestis, disadvantage, disaster, disserve, dissolution, distress, do a mischief, do evil, do ill, do wrong, do wrong by, doom to perdition, doomsday, downfall, dying, ebb of life, effect, end, end of life, end point, ending, envenom, envoi, epilogue, eschatology, eternal rest, excommunicate, excommunication, exit, expiration, extinction, extinguishment, fatality, fate, final solution, final summons, final twitch, final words, finale, finality, find, find against, find for, find guilty, finding, finger of death, finis, finish, foredoom, fortune, future, get into trouble, goal, going, going off, grave, guilty verdict, hand of death, harass, harm, hex, hurt, ides of March, impair, inevitability, infect, injure, izzard, jaws of death, jinx, judgment, karma, kismet, knell, last, last breath, last days, last debt, last gasp, last muster, last rest, last roundup, last sleep, last things, last trumpet, last words, latter end, leaving life, loss of life, lot, making an end, maltreat, mark, menace, mistreat, moira, molest, omega, ordain, order, outrage, parting, pass judgment, pass sentence, pass sentence on, passing, passing away, passing over, payoff, penalize, period, perishing, peroration, persecute, planets, play havoc with, play hob with, poison, pollute, portion, precedent, prejudice, prognosis, pronounce, pronounce judgment, pronounce on, pronounce sentence, pronouncement, proscribe, proscription, quietus, rap, release, report, resolution, rest, resting place, return a verdict, reward, ruin, rule, ruling, savage, scathe, sentence, sentence of death, shades of death, shadow of death, sleep, somatic death, stars, stoppage, stopping place, summons of death, swan song, taint, term, terminal, termination, terminus, the Judgment, threaten, torment, torture, tragedy, trump of doom, unlucky day, utter a judgment, verdict, verdict of guilty, violate, weird, wheel of fortune, will of Heaven, windup, wound, wreak havoc on, wrong